I love movies. Let me rephrase that, I LOVE movies. I love movies so much if I were to pick my favorite job of all time in my 35 years on this earth, I would pick my part time job working at a local video store when I was 16 (I really do love my very grown up 9-5 corporate job though, really I do!).
I love movies so much that had I not majored in graphic design which I utterly do not use in my current profession, that I would've majored in film which I probably won't be using currently either.
I love movies so much that I used to belong to a film club. Yes, I was a very nerdy movie loving freak who would voluntarily join a film club, alone.
I love movies.
So when I knew I would be back to the living-life after working so many hours in December I was sure to make no plans but rent movies. Lots of them. A lot. Did I say a lot?
Let's be real here, none of the movies I rented were life changing to the core. But they were all surprisingly very good. So here is my rundown of my (not all, just 3) New Year's movie all-nighter I pulled, alone: My favorite way of watching movies.
. The Hundred-Foot Journey
Now I'm not sure why I was surprised that this would be good with Helen Mirren starring in it but I just haven't had the time to keep up with the news lately and couldn't remember if this was any good (translation authentic/serious). But it was inclusive of my 2 favorite things in the world so I thought why not. Food and Europe.
This sucker was good, subtle but good. I'll be honest, its quite light hearted so not exactly your mind-probing revelation but it was simply heart-warming. I don't pay attention to the critics so not sure what reception its received but in a nutshell this movie is about family and soul. Soul food. Love. Passion. Finding yourself.
Takeaway: Food porn added with you getting the urge to bike through the countryside of France where it was actually filmed. (I wiki all the production locations of movies I watch so I know exactly where I'm watching. I told you I'm a movie nerd!)
. Wish I was Here
I have been distracted away from Zach Braff since "Garden State" which I absolutely love. I don't know why. No that is a lie, I just have found him annoying. But I think he's brilliant so what do I have to lose?
It was...it hit me in the gut. Yes, the movie can be very cliche. Its your "I'm in my mid 30's with a family but don't want to grow up" type of movie. But you see, I am in my mid 30's sometimes feeling like I too don't really want to grow up.
I like the message of the movie. That we are all searching for something to matter in our lives. That we want to matter. We want to live. We want to breathe. We want to break something and feel something. I didn't have an epiphany myself but was a good catalyst for my gut to stir up some elements.
Takeaway: "We move forward, its the only direction God gave us"
. The Grand Budapest Hotel
I won't lie, I'm already biased with this movie because I am in love with Wes Anderson. I mean Wes Anderson's movies. I have seen many of them. I already knew that whether this movie sucked or not or didn't make any sense and lacks depth or would be overly stylized that I would love it nonetheless. He has a distinctive style and dialogues which I love and somehow always works with really solid actors.
What is this movie about? Hmm...well first the above image is a set so this castle doesn't exist in real life. But the movie was filmed in Germany I think.
I would simply say that this movie is about history. History of a friendship. History of life. History of death. History of love. The time it takes place also has a vital placement in history.
However for me on a personal level it reminded me of the visual aesthetics which I love so dearly. I had forgotten, that I am a very creative person. That because of my progression in 2014 I had forgotten that I thrive in the midst of anything creative. Perhaps this is why I love movies so much. It is an amazing form of medium to express so much as a creator.
Takeaway: Visual porn, you really don't need much more than that. It is a beautifully constructed film literally and technically.


No comments:
Post a Comment